Thursday, June 16, 2011

My Life as a Florentine

The moment we moved into our apartments in Florence, our local program director told us that we are now Florentines. She said that you are no longer a tourist in a hotel, you are staying in an apartment and you must be respectful of the true Florentines.

After nearly four weeks of living and going to school in Florence I feel as though I got a good feel for the Italian way of life. I became very familiar with the cities, the best restaurants for what you are looking for, the best gelato, areas to see, and all that Florence has to offer. I even found the "secret bakery!"  Although there were ups and downs of four weeks with 9 other students, I had the time of my life and took every bit of Florence in while I had the chance. 

The food was to die for; I could live off real Italian food for the rest of my life. All of the ingredients are the freshest possible. The tomatoes are always ripe, you can never have too much cheese, the pizza is made in front of you and fresh out of the oven, and the herbs just pulled from the garden. You cannot find a horrible Italian restaurant in all of Florence, so anything is going to be a safe bet when it comes to food. 

With my class we traveled through Dante's Inferno (The Divine Comedy). Dante was perfect to study in Florence because there is so much to do with him as well as the Inferno. The class was intriguing and definitely helped open my eyes to one of the most famous literature pieces ever written.

Living in Florence was the time of my life. I mean how many people can say that they walk by such a magnificent master piece like the Duomo every day to class.  As the bronze boar predicted, I will most certainly return to Florence someday. 

Jamie

No comments:

Post a Comment